Parents and carers of children in Bradford who are set to start primary school in September this year are being reminded to ensure they apply for a school place before the deadline.
People whose children were born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014 have until midnight on Monday 15 January to submit an application for their child’s primary school place.
Bradford Council has written to all parents whose children are on their database with information on how to apply online. However, parents do not need anything from the Local Authority to register their child and apply online at www.bradford.gov.uk/admissions
Parents and carers can log onto the online system, register their details and make their child’s application. They will not require any further information to apply online but may need to send the local authority address proof of address or additional information if they have recently moved house.
Applying online is safe and makes the application quicker and easier. All parents who applied online will be emailed about their child’s place on the National Offer Day on April 16.
To make the application process as simple as possible and give parents and carers the best chance of sending their child to a preferred school, Bradford Council suggests five key steps to take:
1. Make sure you check the criteria that your preferred schools set for admissions. You can do this by visiting each schools website or reading the Guide for Parents, available online at www.bradford.gov.uk/admissions
2. Read the guidelines set out in the Applying for Primary School booklet sent to parents in November 2017.
3. Complete the on-line application form using all five preferences and fill in any required Supplementary Information Forms, by the deadline.
4. Make sure that you submit your application before the end of January 15 2018.
5. Only submit one application – do not apply online from multiple email addresses.
Coun Imran Khan Executive Member for Education, Skills and Culture, said: “Starting primary school is a big step for every family. We make the application process as simple as it can be. The easiest way of applying is to do so online.
“To give your child the best chance of getting a place at a school you have chosen we strongly recommend parents choose five preferences. If you only apply for one school, you will only be considered for that school and will be wasting the opportunity to be considered for any others if that one does not have a place available.
“Its also important that parents read the admissions policies of the schools they are applying for so that they understand their child’s chances of getting a place there. We do our best to accommodate all applications but parents should not assume they will definitely be given one of their five preferences.”
Parents who do not have an email address and are unable to apply online can contact Bradford Council’s Admissions Team on 01274 439200. If parents have an email address but are experiencing issues, they can contact the team to make an online application at Margaret McMillan Tower with an officer.
If parents and carers have any queries, they can visit the Council’s website: www.bradford.gov.uk/admissions or contact the Admissions Team in the following ways:
• Email email@example.com
• Call the School Admissions Team on 01274 439200